- Date: -
- Target Audience : Year 12
- Programme Duration: February 2023 - Dec 2023
- Categories: Earth and Environment, Geography, Online workshops, Post 16, YR12
We’re excited to launch our Environment Futures programme for Year 12 students. Designed to help you develop your insight into the various courses and what it’s like to study at a Russell Group University, the programme for 2023 is a mixture of in person, on campus, and online activity. You will be able to develop your skills and subject knowledge, as well as the opportunity to take part in talks, workshops, meet current students and academics, explore University of Leeds’ campus, and other enrichment activities alongside your current studies.
What’s Included in the Futures Programmes
The programme consists of three distinct but interconnected themes:
- Climate Futures: Find out more about how the world’s climate is being affected by human activity. Take part in sessions that try and find solutions and address some of these issues head on.
- Sustainable Futures: Are you interested in finding out how we can live in harmony with the planet, would you like to know more about the research that shows us how that can be done?
- Earth Futures: This programme looks in detail at the world we live in, exploring the rocks underneath our feet, delving into the deep oceans and navigating tropical rainforests
As well as the subject taster sessions you will have access to personal statement and application support, and opportunities to meet, both online and face to face, current students studying courses within the Faculty of Environment. Session details and dates will be confirmed at the start of each programme.
The programmes run from February in Year 12 to December in Year 13. The information below should give you a general idea of the activities involved in each of our programmes.
- Launch event, providing you with more information about the programme and a chance to meet staff and students in the Faculty of Environment
- Subject taster sessions, helping you develop your insight into your chosen subject area.
- Skills workshops, helping you develop the skills you need to apply to your chosen subject area.
- An exclusive on campus day, during which you will meet current students and academics, and have a tour around the faculty and the university campus.
- Personal statement workshops, helping you understand how different universities use your personal statement and how best to write it.
- Study skills sessions, helping you develop the study skills required to help you do well in your current and future studies.
- Futures Graduation, celebrating your achievements over the programme
- During the programme online sessions will take place between 4:30 -5:30 so that they do not interfere with your current studies.
The Futures programmes are open to current Year 12 / first year college students who have an interest in applying to Geography, Geoscience and Environment related courses in Higher Education.
Should there be more applications than places, priority will be given to students who live in an area with low levels of progression on to Higher Education (use our online postcode checker) and/or who meet one of more of our other Access to Leeds criteria:
- You’re from a household with an annual income of £25,000 or below OR in receipt of 16-19 Bursary Fund with an income threshold of £25,000 OR in receipt of free school meals during your GCSE or post-16 studies.
- Your parents did not go to university.
- You attend a school achieving below the national average at GCSE (Attainment 8 score).
- Your studies have been disrupted by circumstances in your personal, social or domestic life. (Except in extreme circumstances, disruption caused by the coronavirus pandemic will not be considered, please see our Access to Leeds application guidelines for further information).
- You are care experienced (this could include public or kinship care).
Applicants should also be available to attend the sessions on the dates and times of the sessions provided above.
How to Apply
Applications for our Futures programmes open on Monday 28th November 2022. If you wish to apply, please fill in our application form. Applications close on Sunday 5th February 2023.